Hello lovely people! After a walking-heavy holiday, my parents have gone home; most likely looking forward to recovering from aforementioned walking. Either way I am sad :(. Perhaps it’s because I had to see them off at the station at 6.30 in the morning, or you know, I could *gasp* miss them!
So I thought of all the things that I was happy about. I guess this is kind of like a thanksgiving post, but my entire –dazzling- knowledge of Thanksgiving is all from Friends and Adams Family Values, so I’m not actually sure.
1. I am happy that I am sad about my parents leaving. My parents are awesome.
2. My life is pretty amazing, so I’m happy about that.
(and now the important, beauty-related things)
3. Because Bobbi Brown is super expensive here, I ordered the Modern Classic palette and Day to Night Cool palette to my home in England, and my parents brought it over.
It is so beautiful. Well, actually, I’ve seen prettier packaging, but I love the sleek look both the palettes have. They also have this satisfying weight to them; they’re definitely not flimsy palettes, they have this chunky significance that makes me feel very serious – and somewhat special – when I use them.
Flippancy aside, these palettes are lovely because they are so usable. I know neutrals are dull yadiyadah but when you’re a sucker for palettes (as I am) it’s nice when you don’t have to sit there justifying that chartreuse eyeshadow just so you can get the shimmery taupe. If you’ve been there, you’ll know what I mean.
I like how while these palettes are neutral, they are not brown. I do not like browns very much – they may be useful but they’re usually quite warm-toned and a palette of browns is not exactly a visual feast. I haven’t owned any Bobbi Brown eyeshadows before but so far I love how they apply. I find them more crease-prone (with primer) than other high-end shadows so I’m going to have to break out the big guns and powder my eyelids before applying as well. To sum up, these palettes make me happy.
4. For the first time in about 10 years, my skin actually looks better when I don’t wear foundation. (For the first 6 or 7 of those years, my skin had to go without foundation anyway because I had NO idea what I was meant to look for). I put this down to my total lack of stress compared to uni at home and Freeplus skin care – it is definitely not down to diet: winter is time for hibernation (fattening up and sleeping for inordinately decadent periods of time) . Expect a freeplus review soon!
5. I have found a mascara that is almost perfect. I say almost because it is not infallible but most of the time it is wonderful. It is – drum roll please – the newly-released (November) Kate Volume Gel Mascara. Again, review coming soon! (I mean, I can’t tell you about a wonderful mascara and then just leave you hanging, right?)
6. (See point 4) Fattening up and sleeping.
7. I have bought a brita filter jug. My tea no longer tastes like swimming pool. What more can I say?
8. I feel like this last point should be significant. My hair looks quite good today.